We have been blogging for about a year and it has been a fantastic journey so far!
Blogging is fantastic and allows us to work from home and choose our own hours. With a family of six (FabSix) it has been a perfect fit. Our niche is in the DIY, Food, Home, and Family categories and there is endless inspiration in our lives to talk about and share with the world through our blog posts.
We were able to make money with our site within 6 months. We aren’t getting loads and loads of traffic but enough to pull in around $1,000 per month in ad revenue and affiliate links (which I will get into later).
It’s easy to start a blog and you can make money right away! If you want to get started right away to sign up for a special Bluehost discount (Only $2.95/month) I give to my readers click this link.
Affiliate programs are a fantastic way for bloggers to make income from their blogs. There are some bloggers who make a fortune in affiliates alone. Some of our favorite affiliates that make us money are:
The best platform for creating a blog site is definitely on WordPress. We have tried other platforms and nothing gives you the flexibility and endless options for creating a successful blog as WordPress.
It’s really simple to setup. Below we will show you the step by step on how easy it really is.
USE BLUEHOST TO CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT
Step 1: Choose your web hosting
For starting a new blog Bluehost is our #1 recommendation.
- 2 million WordPress sites are hosted on Bluehost. It is highly recommended by top bloggers and new bloggers alike.
- Bluehost has an easy One-click installer. It literally is one easy click and you’ll have a WordPress site setup.
- Self-hosting. This is the best option if you want to build a blog that is taken seriously by Google and your readers. You’ll especially need this as your blog expands.
- Free domain name. This is the name of your website (like ours, fabsixhome.com) Other hosting sites usually make you pay extra for this.
- Free SSL certificate. This makes your site more secure. This is very important for search engines in terms of ranking you.
- 24/7 support. There is great support for any questions you have any time. Day or night.
- 30 day money back guarantee. You get your money back if you are unhappy with the service for any reason.
- Only $2.95 per month! Get started here. The $2.95 deal is only good for our fabsixhome readers. Enjoy!
Step 2: Create your Bluehost Account
Now it’s time to sign up for a new Bluehost account.
Click the green ‘Get Started‘ button.
Choose your plan
Now it’s time to choose your plan. The Basic plan is enough to get started but for only a few dollars more I went with the Choice Plus because they give you so much more than the Basic plan.
- Unlimited Websites
- Unlimited SSD Storage (Fastest Storage)
- Unmetered Bandwidth
- Free SSL Certificate
- Unlimited Domains
- Unlimited Parked Domains
- Unlimited Subdomains
- Spam Experts
- Domain Privacy + Protection
- Site Backup – Free 1 yr
- 1 Microsoft 365 Mailbox – Free 30 Days
Choose your domain name
Next you’ll get to choose your free domain name. This is the name of your website/blog (ours is fabsixhome.com).
If you haven’t decided on a domain name try brainstorming words or combination of words that relate to your blog niche.
So for example if you are doing a fashion blog then try style, glam, apparel, trendy, design, lifestyle, vintage, etc…
Enter to create your account information
Now it’s time to create your account by entering your required information.
Pick your payment plan and choose your add-ons:
Choose your payment plan. If you choose the 36 month plan you will save 63%!
If you want to cancel your account after a year, Bluehost will refund you for the 2 years you haven’t used. You can cancel whenever you want, and get refunded for the unused months. Getting a refund is very easy and no hassle! It’s a no brainer and totally worth it!
You will also be able to choose some add-ons like:
- Domain Privacy Protection
- Site Backup Pro – This is a great tool to make sure your site is always backed up in case of an issue.
- Search Engine Jumpstart
- SiteLock Security – Find
Step 3: Setup your WordPress Blog
Now that you have your Bluehost setup and your domain name all picked out, It’s time to install WordPress!
Log in to Bluehost
- Log in to your new Bluehost account.
- Go to the My Sites tab.
- Click the Create Site button in the top-right corner.
Enter your website info
Next, Enter your Site Name and Site Tagline. Don’t overthink this too much – you can always update these later.
Choose your domain name
Next, you can use the Domain drop down to select the domain name that you chose when you originally created your Bluehost account.
Click Next when done and then Bluehost will now install WordPress for you and will create your new WordPress site. Then click the Login to WordPress link.
Step 4: Choose your own WordPress theme
Log in and on the Welcome page, then click Log in to WordPress.
Your WordPress theme is what controls the look of your blog website. Most people will go through many themes before choosing one they love. I went through about 7 or 8 themes before I finally found an amazing theme that I love. The Astra theme is amazing!
Why choose WordPress Astra theme?
- Free to Start
- High Conversions
- Dedicated Support
- Backed by Brainstorm Force
- Pre-Built Websites
- Customize Without Code
- Made for Page Builders
- Super Fast Performance
Everything can be customized very easily! Everything including: Layout Settings, Header Options, Colors & Typography, Blog & Archives.
Full and seamless integration with your favorite plugins and tools!
Join Over 1,000,000+ Astra Lovers! You can download the Astra Theme here.
Step 5: Install some new plug-ins
The right plug-ins will improve your blog and make your life easier. Plugins are add-ons that you install to your WordPress site.
To find and install WordPress plugins: Go to your WordPress dashboard and click on plugins then Add New plug-ins in the left column.
Next, you can enter in the search bar the name of the plug-in.
Here is a list of some of my favorite plug-ins:
- Akismet Anti-spam
- Yoast SEO
- MonsterInsights, a Google Analytics plug-in
- WP Forms Lite.
- Social Warfare – A blogger’s must if you want to easily allow your readers to share your posts on all the major social media sites.
Step 6: Create your posts
Now it’s time to get to the fun part! Go to Post in the WordPress left hand dashboard column and click “Add New”.
This will take you to the post editor. Now you can start putting together your content including your text, images, and videos.
Once you have some great content posted you can start monetizing your site with ad partners like, AdSense, Ezoic (Need 10,000 monthly page views), or Mediavine (Need 10,000 monthly page views).
Now you know how to install WordPress on Bluehost!
In addition to the low pricing, Bluehost makes it so simple to install WordPress. Bluehost is a very easy and user friendly platform that offers a ton of plug-ins and functionality to help with your website be successful.
If you have any questions about this tutorial, Please feel free to ask in the comments section below!